Friday, December 10, 2010

Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Aprons

4_2125512879@web36301_mail_mud_yahoo
Two or three years ago I came into my home after a hard, VERY HARD day of first graders and school politics and  other absurd drama. ( Nothing like this year which is my teacher dream.)  But I walked into not a safe, peaceful haven, but utter chaos of girls, patterns, sewing machines and fabric everywhere.
There is nothing I love much more than a chaos of girls, fabric and sewing machines!  It was 2 or 3 days before Thanksgiving and my girls had turned my home into a sewing factory making aprons to wear on Thanksgiving Day.
I honestly believe that it’s never too late to start a new family tradition, and I come from a family FULL of them!  My most exciting memory of Thanksgiving day was the annual pie stealing at Grandma Pete’s. 
That all started when one of her boys sneaked a pie from outside that was cooling on the window sill.  Going with the flow (which you kind of have to do with 6 sons), she forever after made “stealing pies” for kids and grandkids to sneak off the window sills.  We grabbed our pies and ran like heck to the end of Dinwiddie Street, sat down on the cool grass and pigged out!  I mean literally pigged out…gobbling down that gooey deliciousness without benefit of fork or spoon.  The whole thing!
This new tradition of making aprons wasn’t even my idea.  I was completely taken by surprise!   apron girls   Here is a photo of our aprons from this Thanksgiving.  Of course, not all my daughters are here, but enough to cause a ruckus.   Also here are a couple of daughter-in-laws and one granddaughter.
Some of the girls got really creative and made reversible aprons with one side in Halloween print and the other for Thanksgiving. ..or one side in Thanksgiving and the other for Christmas.  Gotta love ‘em!
Just today I received this cool email from my friend, Serena, all about Grandma’s aprons. 2_2125512879@web36301_mail_mud_yahoo
I have to include these old patterns for aprons that were in her email.  Notice the price….25 cents!  Now I wait and wait until JOANN’S  has a $1.99 sale on McCalls or Simplicity.  And whatever happened to Advance patterns?  I used to love those!

apron

This is really giving me the urge to make another apron.  Wonder if I could find any of these oldies but goodies in my mom’s old pattern boxes?

1 comment:

  1. That was a great post and a great tradition. I got in too much of a rush to make the apron that I bought fabric for, but I did teach a ruffly apron class for eight other ladies so I hope I was passing the tradition on still. There's still time for a Christmas apron, Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete